A new book about the Llanerch Colliery explosion of 1890 has been created to help raise funds to build a memorial for the 176 local men and boys who lost their lives during the disaster.
The Llanerch Colliery was situated in Cwmnantddu above Pontnewynydd and the book tells the story of the explosion, the inquest and how the mining communities of north Torfaen overcame the tragedy.
The book called ‘The Llanerch Colliery Explosion’ has been produced by the ‘Friends of The Llanerch Memorial Fund’, a team of volunteers that have spent the past year researching the disaster and compiling details of the event. The names of all men and boys who tragically lost their lives have been listed and a replica of the Inquest’s Report map has been included.
All profits from the book which is now on sale for £9.95 will be used to build a memorial and more information can be found on the Friends of The Llanerch Memorial Fund Facebook page.